Friday, January 26, 2007

You can't help your upbringing

I've mentioned before that the overwhelming majority of my colleagues are women. This presents a problem for a chap who is as well (some would say over-) trained as I am. And, no, I don't mean the excessive amount of time I've spent at University or the quite ludicrous level of hygiene and customer service badges I've had pinned to various (and usually ugly) uniforms over the years.

No. I mean the training my mother very carefully instilled in me as I was growing up on the behaviour of a gentleman.

A gentleman, by my mother's definition, opens doors, carries boxes and gives compliments (that one's especially important) amongst other things. This presents a bit of a challenge when the gentleman is surrounded by women. One really can't help one's upbringing but it's a trifle off that I have these squirmy guilt feelings from watching the admin staff carry boxes in from delivery to a cupboard.

These are healthy women, well able to carry a boxful of flyers from one room to the other (and one of them actually got a bit narky when I insisted on carrying the lion's share one week) so why must I feel bad about letting them do it?

...

Within chat about jobs, instigated by Patrick's current search for employment, someone said it must have been quite intimidating to make application to a careers service, with the most likely very high expectations from all things CV, application form and interview performance. The thought never really crossed my mind at the time. There is some documented smuggery on my part for having achieved the job, but I think most telling of all is that I was reading about the Civil Service Fast Stream's Assessment Centres today and thought, "Ooh - that sounds like fun."

Damn, I'm twisted.

...


...

I can never figure out if I'm the cat or the dog.

...

Have a good one,

C

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given the blog today, I'd have to say you are the DOG.

I am the cat....

You're my B!TCH.

:)

With Love

Jxx

2:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, reading J's bitch comment I couldn't resist:

Well hell, can't get the link to copy, so....check your email :-D

Oh here, off the bitch subject but think you'll like this: http: //n.ethz.ch/student/mkos/pinguin.swf

Now, as gratitude, you must promise to pick on a certain feather-head we both know and love...and beat her top score of 320.5

11:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home