Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Si, grazie, prego

Which is just about the sum total of Italian language that I took with me to Firrenze (ooh, there's another one) over the weekend. It's been quite a long time since I went abroad and I'd forgotten how incredibly frustrating it can be not to know the lingo. But, that was the only bad thing about my weekend. I shall absolutely definitely positively be going back to Italy at some point soon, but I'm damn sure learning some of the language first.

I do love 'prego'. It's pretty much Italian for 'nae bother'.

...

The art and architecture was amazing. I took 275 photographs over the weekend and about four of those have either me, Mum or Dad in them, so it's pretty much stunning building followed by jaw-dropping sculpture followed by nice knockers (door knockers, obviously). Here are my top two or three. I'll see if I can sort out a Flickr or something for the rest. Or maybe a zip file you can download if you're interested...








This was one corner of one room in the Pitti Palace - all of which, right down to the skirting boards, was like this. Opulence doesn't come into it. Personally, I loved the (life sized!) fauns above all the cornicing.






















View of the Duomo from the Campanile - tower type thing with 421 steps. Cracking views from all sides and heights. The Duomo really dominates the centre of town - peaks round alleyways and over the top of building. The uniform height for buildings in city centre is at least four or five storeys, but one never feels hemmed in. Lots of light and air.



















View over the city from a wee village we got the bus up to. I'm sure I'll remember the name of the village any second. Leipisi? Something like that. Maybe.








...

Food. And drink. *drooling*

(All vegetarians should look away now)

I'm never ordering a steak again - as there's just No Way that any other piece of beef could ever measure up to the lovely bistecca I got on Saturday night. It was HUGE and so perfectly cooked. And tasty. All things good.

(Vegetarians seem to have gotten lucky - blogger will not accept picture of steak - and yes, I took a picture. It was That Good.)

The food, in general, was great. Coffee was super fine (you can keep your Starbucks) everywhere we went.

...

Hotel was lovely, as was shopping. And I caved and bought myself a bag. It's beautiful. *happy smiles*

...

Have a good one,

C

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only 275 photos – I’d have thought you’d have made a bit more of an effort to capture Florence for posterity. You're getting very lazy in your old age

10:04 am  
Blogger Chris said...

And you remain as Cheeky as F*ck

10:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home