Thursday, April 26, 2007

Quiet, yous!

We were learning to talk New York last night, which was fun and stimulating on many levels.

Martin is a friend of mine, very experienced in the creative arts, and also spent 17 years living in New York (originally from the South). Letting an Extremely American, experienced theatre chap loose on a bunch of wee community theatre folk may have been cruel. I think folk got something out of it, though. Martin, quite cleverly I thought, paid attention to rhythm and inflection rather than attempting to improve folks' particular accent. Some chaps were No Way ever going to manage the actual accent, but concentrating on the style of its language, and where the attitude of it came from really got a result.

I think he may have harassed a couple of years off some of their lives, but hey - if it achieves the result...

...

Sooner or later, everyone gets tired of it.

...

iboreeasy.com is available, I have discovered. I like the idea of that. It'll let me put up loads of different kinds of things and still be within a one site rationale. And it's true - I bore easy.

...

This typifies the problem I have with organised religion.

It's an article from Discovery News saying that the Pope is planning to release all the unbaptised children from Limbo (read it for details) because, "There is greater theological awareness today that God is merciful and wants all human beings to be saved. Grace has priority over sin, and the exclusion of innocent babies from heaven does not seem to reflect Christ's special love for the little ones."

Limbo seems to be a place of ennui these days, but back a few centuries it was somewhere you went to have your sins burned away - for centuries. So, what's being said here is that some guy on Earth is the one who decides whether or not little babies (that's what we're saying here - those who died before they could be baptised) burn for centuries or are allowed into eternal grace and joy.

HOW does this make sense? I mean, if 'we' have a better idea of how God would want things now, don't you think He knew it then and has been doing it all along? Seriously - why, in the whole feckin' cosmos, would an omnipotent, omniscient, infinitely merciful and loving deity need some dude in a pointy white hat to make these decisions? And how does said pointy-hatted due know this? Inferred wisdom? Or are we to believe that God actually talks to him.

I am so against hierarchical theocracies.

For objectivity, I'll have to state that Limbo's never been part of RC doctrine - just a hotly debated 'issue'.

But STILL!

...

...

LOL

...

Stick in,

C

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're confusing Limbo with Purgatory. Purgatory burnt your sins away thus making you fit to enter heaven eventually. Limbo is for those who can never get to heaven because they're not baptised - good pagans like Socrates, and babies - and the only difference between Limbo and heaven is that you don't get to be with god in Limbo. So yes, the babies have escaped but Plato and company are still there. And expecting religion to make sense is rather optimistic of you. I would recommend Richard Dawkins' 'The God Delusion' to help you sort it all out.

2:36 pm  
Blogger Chris said...

I've seen 'The God Delusion' and I'm not entirely keen on its title or premise. Whilst I did and will rant a bit with my opinions on religion, I don't think I have the right to call anyone who has some kind of faith 'deluded'. I also think it's a funny standpoint for any one who makes claim at the 'scientist' title to deny others their write to an argument / point.

2:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home