Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Skippy

*wanders in, looking transparently confused (not unlike a puppy who isn't sure whether or not you've seen the puddle)*

I think Skippy was here. You know Skippy? My evil twin. It certainly can't have been me being such a whiney-assed MoFo yesterday.

Can't have been.

...

Rehearsal went terribly well last night. Small Jen (watch her preen) is a good director. I'd been projecting a very controlled mood of the character which she teased out into a bit more emotion from me. With a few well chosen words. More and more chemistry / connection between myself and Andy (t'other guy) at each rehearsal, too.

Accent coaching tonight, which should be good. Early start, which means I must race around after work to make it on time, but Jenni's going to feed me which will make things easier. And early starts means early finish so time enough to go home and chill for a bit, too.

...

Dropped in on Steve last night after rehearsal, which was likewise good. We talked animation and camera, his work, my work and photography.

And golf. It's that time of the year again. I haven't struck a ball in anger since last September which means I need to get back into the swing of things. Hopefully hit the driving range this weekend, some pitch and putt and then go play an actual round on a proper course. I have to work my way up to it, especially when playing against my father. Not good to let the Old Man entirely humiliate me. He gets above himself. :)

(That's entirely untrue. He's quite a good teacher. Which shocked the Hell out of me, given I can still come out in a cold sweat remembering certain driving lessons - but I suppose I must have got it from somewhere and my Mum couldn't guide you through the supermarket.)

...

Lists, lists, lists. I think at least part of yesterday's grump was a feeling of being somewhat...well, not overwhelmed, but definitely with a large list of Things to Do. And, if workwork isn't going as well as I'd like, I start getting frustrated. Thinking I could be getting so much of my own stuff done in the time. So, I have been Making Decisions, I have.

Something's got to give, basically. I am doing too much and want to do a whole lot more. I am not Superman and therefore have to make some compromises. Regrettably, I've had to decide that being sociable is going to suffer the biggest cutbacks.

I'm a very social animal and find myself most inspired by people. If I ever manage to leave whatever event / outing / get-together I'm at within a reasonable time to do stuff when I get home rather than straight to bed, I find myself full of ideas and plans. Snippets of writing or functions for photographs. Problem is I'm very, very bad at leaving said things when I'm still having fun.

So, I've decided that being sociable is for the beginning of the month. It'll also tie in with budgeting and buying resources for all these projects I have in mind. I'll be able to make purchases at the beginning of the month and then make use of the time which is freed up to utilise those same purchases. Being skint won't matter as I'm not 'allowed' to go out partying all the time, anyway.

First on the list is yon blackboards I've been talking about. Which have won out over pretty top. For now. It wouldn't even have been an either / or excepting I am most definitely joining the gym this Friday now that I have a goal to get fit for.

...

Also suffering from cutbacks is dinner at my Mum and Dad's. I'm going to be unpopular, but it is somewhere I can claw back some time. Dinner every fortnight rather than every week. I'll still be visiting the Mad Gran on Thursdays, though, so Mum can get her night off from visiting. And also just because it's nice to visit Bessie. She's always been incredibly good to me, so it's good to give a bit back, even if that's just some company once a week.

...

Stick in,

C

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clawing back time by cutting down on visits to your parents is *not* nice. Weekly visits barely give them enough time to cluck over you as it is without reducing that pleasure still further. You should consider all the other possibilities first rather than deprive them - maybe some of your literary tasks could accommodate a few delays?

2:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or here's another wrinkle:

Instead of cutting out your social time, perhaps involve other people in your projects. For instance, I'd definitely be into making "writing dates" with you, 'cause I have time set aside in my schedule for working on my book, but it would be great to have a scheduled meeting with someone -- less chance of renegotiating the commitment with myself in my head at the last minute.

10:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home