Thursday, April 12, 2007

Bounce 'em off your Happy Shield

Sage advice there, from the small Jen.

There are other options, of course.

...

I got a new coo!

James and Alexis are just back from Australia (which is nice, I have missed them). We hung out last night, had some dinner and dropped round to see Steve. Pleasantly relaxed conversation and saw a whole load of their photos.

Haven't quite figured out how to show you the coo yet. It is in photographic format what with the actual cow being a full-size one, and in a shop which you had to ring bell to gain access to.

"Um, no, we don't want to buy anything. We just want a photo of the cow for our weird little friend."

*laughter*

I note that the cow parade is going on in Milan at the moment - or Marseilles later in the year. Not a bad way to plan one's travel. "I go where the cows go, man!"

...

Learning. (Photoshop, specifically)

On the one hand - phooey! Since when did I have to learn anything. Put actual effort into things in order to gain a new skill and remember? I mean, my God! When did this happen? Used to be I could flip through a manual and know what I was doing in about half an hour max. You're talking to a man who, in completing two degrees and highers and such like before those, has studied for a probable grand total of, fifty hours maybe? Now I have to reference top menus all the time in order to remember shortcuts. A....grrrrrrr.

On the other hand - is relaaaxed. In a way. Once one gets over the frustration, it is actually quite nice to think, "Well, not going to learn everything in a day, so just take your time and get to know this bit."

...

These are very cool. Cambridge in colour, and the tutorials are pretty good, too.

...

Stick in,

C

4 Comments:

Blogger Forrest said...

Hmm kinda like the second option. :0

Jxx

12:37 pm  
Blogger Patrick said...

yup, Burn Them All showed up in my friends page today and I laughed and laughed! I so know how he feels there.

6:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So have you mastered alpha channels in Photoshop yet? ;)

Some of it is decidedly unlike anything in the real, visual world. It gets very math-y and computer-y. As someone who starts by drawing on paper, it took me a long time to get into some of that stuff, and, thankfully, I had a team of people around me who were good at it and were (unlike me) interested in reading manuals from cover to cover.

I like what you've done with the program so far. My only advice would be to steer clear of too many plug-ins. They are to a good photograph what sparkly fairy-wings and a sparkly pink hat are to an otherwise pretty girl.

12:05 am  
Blogger Chris said...

I agree - all the photoshopery isn't necessary for a good photograph and, if that's my goal, I'd rather get it right at the shutter-stage. There are inherent limits however, even with as fancy a camera as mine, as to what you can do with a point-and-click approach.

I would differentiate, as well, between a photograph and an image.

8:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home