Monday, March 19, 2007

Things Done

I don't think I'm normal.

Yes, all right, pause for mass hilarity or ohsowitty comments on the order of, "Yes? And?"

It being a Monday, there is the usual office 'how was the weekend?' round of questioning at break time and it struck me that, once again, I was one of the few who could actually say, "this, that and the next thing," rather than, "Oh, nothing much..."

This pleases me. Hamish is doing a lot of 'what I'm grateful for at the moment.' That's one of mine - that I get off my arse and do things these days, instead of talking about them. Part of that, of course, is finally having a salary that could be called 'decent' so that I can make plans and be confident I'll have the entrance fee. All props to Dada and yon artsworkers ebulletin for providing cheap (sometimes even free!) access to culture. I was a bit concerned when Dada started charging, but you can still sign up as pay-per-event. Some of those are still gratis and hey - a £10 ticket to the ballet is still uber-cheap.

For those of you in the UK and not paying attention - that's a recommendation. Go sign up - it's worth it.

...

The sheer f*cking genius of it! On the Ishida!

Boy got game!
...

Did you click those last links? Did you?

I don't put them in for the good of my health, you know. At least click the first one. Go on - you know you want to!

...

Modelling goes on apace. I'm doing upscale and downscale - i.e. making the same model a few different times in a few different sizes. And making layers in different ways to figure out what the best way to make pattern is.

  • You can cut shapes and layer them on, but they can end up looking lumpy.
  • Or you can take little bits of plasticine and smear, but only if you're happy with rough shapes. Which I am for some things - belly fur being a different colour than back fur, f'r instance.
  • Next mode to try is sectional. Making the model in two different colours, then cutting them up and putting them together. I think this one best for heads. Think of badgers - you get my idea.
And I've decided that one of the best things about modelling is squishing the f*ckers once I'm done. Some of them get saved - the ones which look sorrowful enough. I would very soon end up with a flat entirely populated by plasticine models if I kept them all, though.

SQUISH! Mwuhahahahahahaha!

...

The Pixar exhibit was shiny. Trundled along on Sunday afternoon with Steve, after getting caffeined up at Black Medicine.

The exhibit is well organised and presented with clear sections set up rather than a path so you could skip about or walk round in a big circle. A couple of things were made specifically for the exhibit, too, so definitely worth a look. On until 28th May.

I was most interested by the models (strangely) - I even very naughtily snapped some pics with my phone (even though we were expressly told not to - bad Chris!). There was a very cool picture of Edna Mode's house, too, made up of different papers all slotted one over the other. Made me start thinking of backgrounds and the like.

...

Speaking of pics I am still bereft of internet, so none today either. Which is a shame as we played Twister at LizFlat on Friday and I have some quite compromising snaps. :-)

I'm not joining the internet this month - it'll have to wait until next - as I am joining the gym this month. Decided on the one behind the flat as it is most convenient and you can pay monthly. Pleasance (Uni) gym is cheaper, but you have to conjure the £114 all at once. A significant chunk out of the disposable.

Please God I am right and the convenience of it all means I'll actually go. There is historical precedent for that, though!

...

OK, I must be boring you by now, (on Reception = skiving) so rest of weekend was good. Picked up a manual for Photoshop 5.0 (the one I've got - thank you, Sue) for £2, along with lots of pretty postcards. That was at Stills sale, which I went to with Liz on Saturday. Picked up their schedule of classes, too. I've played enough with camera to want some proper instruction. Plus, if you take their course, then you get to use their lab for free for aaaaaages.

...

Stick in,

C

1 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

Some of them get saved - the ones which look sorrowful enough.

I'm glad I don't live in a universe where you're the creator Chris - being kept alive because one seems suitably miserable seems wrong somehow.

Sorry I bailed on Sunday too - I'll be properly sociable during the week.

2:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home