Thursday, March 22, 2007

Connected

It strikes me that, in a very real sense, we can have no control over our lives. 'Best laid plans' and all that.

What with all the different things I've been / am doing at the moment I'm really into the multi-disciplinary approach. I don't know if you can call the term a buzz-word, but it definitely has a buzz about it at the moment, in a great many different sectors.

Academia is, to an extent, embracing the concept; most especially in postgraduate and research studies / posts - and very much in anything that's applied. It's being acknowledged that, in order to get anything real done, you have to approach it from many different angles.

In medicine, too. The NHS now works on a Biopsychosocial model - prevention and education as much as cure. i.e. Attending to the whole person rather than looking at them as a specific 'case' or 'complaint'. Health Centres are actually becoming 'centres' these days, too, with various different practitioners rather than just a GP and a nurse with maybe a psychiatric nurse who's in once a week, on Thursdays.

In recruitment, employers are moving away from the stress-interview technique of recruitment and introducing assessment centres and pre-interview tests to create a picture of the person as a whole, rather than judging on a half-hour chat.

So, we have a lot of acceptance of the fact that no one thing can entirely define itself or be controlled, predicted or predicated in one way. Link that in with life in general and, seriously - can one reasonably expect anything to go to plan?

I'm very much an internal as far as locus of control goes, so I'm not being fatalistic here - I don't think there's nothing that we can do. Quite the contrary, I think we should all embrace change and growth (bit wanky, but true) however, there are so many factors - environmental and human, that affect us.

To sum it up - "Works? Meet Spanner. Spanner? Meet Works."

...

But there again...

...

Less than a week until I join the gym. I'm quite looking forward to it. I haven't been in for a wee tour yet, but Alexis tells me it's a good one and, as I've said, the Extreme Convenience is the biggest pull for me. So long as they have cross-trainers and some weight machines, I'll be happy.

...

This weekend's thing to do: make blackboards.

I feel the need for some kind of mind-mapping space (going back to the multi-disciplinary and things feeding into each other) where I can stick up pictures and posters, inspiring words and draw arrows and such in between.

Step 1: Go to the B&Q and buy canvases
Step 2: Buy blackboard paint too
Step 3: Bring the two together as one
Step 4: Hang on wall
Step 5: Swear
Step 6: Go back out and buy chalk

...

Stick in,

C

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blackboard chalk is the coolest. I want to have a room that's painted in it. Like those movies in which they find the serial killer's house with all the notes scribbled all over the walls -- rather than finding that frightening, I think it's neat, admirable, industrious. Go on, be the killer!

As far as planning goes, I believe that our progress in life is a combination of sweat and magic. We're obliged to make decisions, be strong, show up, and take action, but life has its own undercurrents and patterns that cause things to unfold according to a kind of order -- to do with our learning the most we can in our time here, making the connections we need to make. We have total free will and can follow whatever path we want; there'll just be no power along some paths, and things will start working again when we find our way back to the main path again.

That's been my experience.

12:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home