Friday, July 06, 2007

Quick week!

How marvellous. Friday already.

...

I'm not sorry,
I'm not sorry,
No, I'm not sorry.

I didn't mean to make you cry.

...

Have been a nose-to-grindstone boy all week. Written three publications with which I am pleased. Of course, boss might not be, but really - what does she know?

...

My bro emailed me - a lot - yesterday, rather desperate to talk to me. Turns out he had been idly typing small Evie's, his lovely daughter and my lovely niece, name into various search engines. And came up with the flickr photoset of her I'd put up in her wee anorak and doggie balaclava-type thing. You know the type. Cute to the extreme.

Cue parental paranoia (bless - she's still tiny and their first) and the - lots of - emails until he got me on the phone to ask me to slap a private lock on them. This is fair enough, she's his kid and therefore his decision on what happens to images of her.

It got me thinking, though. Isn't that a bit strong?

Basically, what I'm asking is, are we that bothered? About the obvious, I mean. Are we to be so scared of a tiny fraction (and it is a tiny fraction) of the population who may look at a picture of a pretty child and think bad things - of whatever variety. Should we stop taking pictures of children at all just in case these bad people see them? I happen to think that the shots I took were brilliant - empirically aesthetic, if you like. She's a beautiful little person and why shouldn't lots of folk be allowed a wee, "Awwww. What a cutie!" in their day?

Men aren't allowed to talk to kids any more. It's true. I've tracked it. Unless you're a formally validated childcare worker, then you're not allowed to interact. Mothers will glare at you for smiling at their children, whereas I recall chatting away to people at the bus stop when I was small and mum being simply grateful to have my attention grabbed for a few minutes. And I remember kids likewise being allowed to talk to me.

I'm not suggesting that parents are in any way wrong to want to protect their children, but really - put the paranoia down, people, and step away. Just because the media is screaming about the 1% of bad people in the world, it doesn't mean good people no longer exist. Someone smiling may just be communicating goodwill. A crazy thought, I realise, but they may not even have an ulterior motive for doing so.

I love kids - always have and am not going to stop saying so. Someone taking that 'the wrong way' has a problem. Not me.

...

I think the flower may have confused him somewhat.

Everyone can understand this, though. If not from one side, then the other.

Calligraphy time!

...

Stick in,

C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home