Friday, August 24, 2007

Weekend - Woop!

My wrists are aching. *pause for snickers up sleeves*

Finished? Good.

Lots of lifting and carrying yesterday and the day before. Getting rid of the leftover (makes it sound small - two van loads!) of this academic year's takeaway literature. Plus all I've done at the computer at work is click links, as we're doing our annual check of all our web pages. That said, I'm picking up little bits and pieces of interest - like the marauding elephants in Malawi. They've had to have a people-curfew.

...

Starting to run up against the straight-out-from-work-or-not-at-all quandary. One must be so organised when living out of town, don'tcherknow. If I am planning on going out, or even want the option, then I have to pack street clothes for the evening. There's also that dead time between five and seven (before which no truly civilised evening society begins) to fill. Fair enough is weather is nice - can wander around, especially just now with FestiVAL to gad about in. Not looking forward to winter time for same - dark at 4pm.

Eesh. Ach, well. Optimism. Could very well have my very own flat by then.

...

Great shot - not mine. Is giggle-worthy.

...

The show I went to last night, with Liz and Jenny was very funny indeed. Aeneas Faversham Returns. I'll let you read the review for details. Most proud of Jamie who I used to be in drama societies with. Doing very well for himself.

The sketches are all very Victoriana, or Georgian or Edwardian. Muzzy period, not really mattering, but it put me in mind of something someone, I think it was Hamish but I could be wrong, said: that you have to limit yourself in order to be creative. 'tis true, I feel.

"I'm going to write a story."

OK, well done, but what about? And in what style? What do you want to communicate?

This spun me down another wee thought trail to what is fast becoming my philosophy on art, if you like. It can be summed up in one word and everything: Intent. Art is intent.

I reached this particular conclusion mostly through the photography. Digital is all so very easy, you see. At least in part. Takes away all the technical necessities, most especially with the point and clicks. I personally don't understand those who use the "auto" setting on their fancy-pants cameras. Why not just buy/bring the ittle one?

Anyway - if there's no requirement to know any great deal about processing or developing, then do you get to claim yourself as a photographer? If all you've done is the aforesaid point-and-click. I think so. I think if you intend to create something, then that's good enough. It won't necessarily be good, but it'll be definable as art.

Which is just the start, really.

...

Nihil obstat,

C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home