Thursday, June 14, 2007

This, that and the other.

There's such a terribly lot going on. And I'm aware that my witterings are still tracking along the 'what I did on my holidays' line. I've barely even linked to Sinfest lately! Bad Chris. Where is the entertainment?



So - this here. Is way cool. It's an article on a hip, hop and happenin' (in geek and academic ways - something to be said for amalgamating those two) 3-D model of Ancient Rome at its height.



"Frischer says he's in talks with online community Second Life as well."



It's a bit odd, actually. I've read a ludicrous amount of sci-fi and it's both exciting and a little awe-inspiring to see so much of what I read about becoming a reality. It's nice to have that, "I read about that years ago," thing - it makes me realise just how truly awesome (and I use that word as it should be, not in reference to a good coffee/chocolate bar) and priveleged a life we Western types lead.



Now, there's a thing. 'Western types'. Given that Japan and China are now (and have been, for the pedants) p*ssing on the Western world's technology from a great height, do we get to hold onto that definition? 'Western' has been synonymous with privelege, prosperity and, (within dependents!) freedom for quite some time now. Eastern markets are booming, however, both domestic and inter-national. China and India are carefully wooing African nations - and they're not telling them they can't use their hydrocarbon and fossil resources.



Access speeds in downtown Tokyo make the broadest of British bands look like dial-up for dummies. And it's free, and it's wireless, accessible on mobile tech (I won't say phone, even though they mostly are) which, again, p*sses on our humble Nokia N93s, one of which I want even so.



It's definitely a very interesting time, internationally speaking. (NO duh!, I hear you cry).



Maybe I should learn Cantonese. I can already count to ten! Look



Yut
Yee
Sam
Say
Nnn
Loak
Chut
Put
Caow
Sup



(And I didn't even look it up to check)



...





Blast from Belfast past.

...

Rehearsal went well last night. Night off tonight (to help my Dad put in the new kitchen units - damn, I am tired.) Andy got frocked for the first time and I can't believe the difference him being in costume made to the lines. It always gives you a perk, as an actor, to get your costume and props (especially props - I remember once I was handed a sword about thirty seconds before I was due on stage for first night - didn't have a clue what to do with it). This was definitely something else, though. He looked so different - very much the character.

Me - I'm wearing jeans and a Tshirt. Isn't it lucky that the eighties are back in? I've already got the clobber.

...

...

Stick in,

C

1 Comments:

Blogger pooks said...

One of our lesser known tourist attractions that is. Did no one warn you? It's a wonder you got out in one piece. It doesn't look like that anymore - the developers got their mits on it - skyscrapers now dominate.
Next time I'll take you on the tour of the rest of our 'not such a good area' tourist highlights.
Ellie

4:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home