Thursday, May 15, 2008

Earthquake

Having had a couple of phone calls and a few emails saying, "I'm pretty sure you're nowhere near it, but..." I thought I'd better reassure.

The earthquake, though horrific, was nowhere near me. If you were above the 20th floor in Shanghai, you would have felt it; one of Claudia's friends who lives on the 42nd floor was terrified - her flat swayed from side to side and everything fell over. I was on street level at the time - wondering why so many people were pouring out of skyscrapers. Luckily, I was with Meina at the time (Claudia's pal / my new pal) so she could translate the radio broadcasts for me.

...

Shanghai is just fab, I've decided. Definitely a great city to be a moderately-well-off Westerner in. At first I was really intimidated by it all, but I've gotten used enough to the stares to smile at most of them, and everybody smiles back. Just curious about the funny looking white boy.

Of course, it's a smile-and-firmly-shaken-head on the street my hotel is on. "Bags? Watch? DVD?" And, of course, after sundown, "Massage? Pretty lady?"

...

Had a test-pack last night and at first I was worried, but got some room still. I don't - quite - want to stop shopping, though, so I'm just off to check my baggage allowance.

***update*** SIXTY frickin' quid! Maybe I don't need that hoodie after all...

...

Semper superne nitens,

C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home